Skip to main content

Caldo de Res (Mexican Beef Soup)

Caldo de Res (Mexican Beef Soup) with Zing!!!



This soup is so fantastic. So, in your face, with Mexican flavor.  So... very different from your run of the mill, typical beef soup! My family and I have been going to our favorite Mexican restaurant for 12 years now. They know us by our van, as we pull into the parking lot. My husband eats lunch their 4 time a week....at least! They have his table all set up with his food and drink when he walks in. It's a comfort for our children to go somewhere they feel special and the servers know them by name. Also, having 6 kids, we tend to make a bit of a mess. This restaurant expects the chaos we bring, so it's no big surprise! Lol!


This restaurant created a new soup for the winter season. We sampled it the day they created it. It was delicious. Unfortunately, they put bacon in it so I had to mock up a pork free version for us. I didn't dare ask them their recipe (my Spanish is rusty anyway), so this is a taste to memory success!

Ingredients:
  • 2-3 pounds Rump Roast
  • salt
  • 2-3 cups beef broth
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 cup frozen veggies (I used the frozen diced onion, red and green peppers and celery)
  • 1 can of pinto beans, drained
  • 6 tablespoons tomatillo salsa (It's the “green” salsa, sometimes labeled salsa verde- I get the one with jalapenos for some kick. If your salsa verde doesn't have jalapenos, think about adding something spicy like cayenne, red pepper flakes or a small can of jalapenos.)
  • 1 tablespoon of cilantro (I use the paste kind because NONE of my stores have the fresh. If you you're using fresh I would triple this amount)
  • 1 teaspoon of chopped garlic
  • 2 limes
  • diced avocado




Whew! I said flavorful! So that means lots of ingredients! :)

In your crock pot, add the beef broth, tomato paste and thyme. Whisk till mixed throughly and then place your bay leaf in. (If you you're using 2 pounds of meat go for 2 cups of broth, if you're using 3 pounds, add 3 cups. It's really a 'how-soupy-you-like-it' preference.) Salt your meat, liberally, on all sides. In a skillet, add the tablespoon of olive oil and get your pan real hot. Sear your meat on all sides. (You're not cooking this meat all the way through, just crisping the sides. It's a nice trick I learned years ago. It seals in the juices and makes the meat delicious.) When your meat is seared, add it to your crock pot. Around your roast, pour in your veggies. (You can use fresh instead of frozen, but this is a time saver.) Slow cook your roast for 6-8 hours on low.  You don't have to, but a every so often you can baste the meat with the flavored broth.  No biggie if you don't! I know crock pot cooking is all about  'fix and forget' but turning the meat or basting can give you a more flavorful meat.

After your roast is cooked throughly, take out with a pair of tongs onto a cutting board. You'll know it's done when it falls apart, as you spear it with a fork. Pull or cut your roast into bite size pieces and add back to the crock pot with the following: beans, salsa verde, cilantro, garlic and lime. Now is the time to add more broth if you think it needs it.  Turn your crock pot up to high and let it cook another 30-45 min. Even longer if you want.

Spoon soup into a bowl and serve with diced avocado on top.  



 Serving: 4 BIG Bowls or 6-8 smaller bowls


My husband gives it 5 "mmmm's"
When I was done eating mine, I had to break bad table manners and........


Trim Healthy Mama's: This is an S soup!  Don't let the one can of beans scare you.  Not enough carbs to put you in E! 


***I have been known to cook a pot roast in my pressure cooker as a time saver.  If you don't have the 8-10 hours to do this and have a pressure cooker, you can still have this soup in about an hour or so! Just pressure cook your roast in the broth, tomato paste and spices.  Don't forget to sear meat first.  Then add cut up, cooked, roast and broth to a pot on the stove.  Add the other ingredients and simmer for 30-45 min!  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Snickers Smoothie

ONE WORD.... Snickers!  Yep!  Makes your mouth and mind BUZZZZZZZZ ! This recipe was graciously shared to me by a trim healthy mama.  I am always skeptical when something says 'healthy' and has a name brand tagged on it.  Like brownies made with cottage cheese.  Or how about 'Doritos' kale chips!  C+C Music Factory comes to mind with "Things that make you go hmmmmmm!"   BUT................. This really has a Snickers-ish flare to it.  And- I love it.   Go all out on your extract.  I have friends that get theirs at Walmart, but quality verses quantity wins me over.  You usually have to use more of the cheap stuff to get that punch of flavor.  My favorite is Bakto .  The other spotlight in this Snickers Shake is Glucomannan.  You can read its wonderful qualities  here. Snickers Smoothie Into your favorite blender add the following:  1 cup of Unsweetened Almond milk (or if you're in heavy weight loss mode, 1/2 cup of almond milk

The Shrinker

A drink that shrinks your waistline, gives you energy, improves your health and fights cancer? What in the world? Yes, it's all true!  Oolong tea can be purchases online, found in Asian markets and I even saw it at Publix.   SHRINK the FAT... **** Oolong improves vitality... prolongs lifespan... combats the aging of skin... treats eczema and rashes... prevents heart disease and cancer… reduces high blood pressure... it's a physical and mental stress reliever... strengthens teeth and prevents tooth decay... improves brain power... you get the picture. Best of all it makes a scrumptious drink called the "SHRINKER" and you get all these extras and more thrown in for good measure.   Oolong contains antioxidants that powerfully destroy free radicals. Research conducted by Dr Kenichi Yanagimoto from the university of California, showed that only 15 days of Oolong tea drinking enabled an incredible 50% reduction in free radicals. Another study conducted by

My allergic reaction to jalapeños

****** If you are having an intense burning from cutting jalapeños and found this blog on the web, scroll to the bottom.  I have labeled what you need to do!!! It was Saturday afternoon. I had a wonderfully planned party at my house for 6pm. I diligently cleaned all day. I had let my house go, so a deep clean was in order. I was saving all my cooking for the last hour of the party so everything would be warm. It was 5pm and I was ready to cook. Being 6 months pregnant, the breaking back work of cleaning had almost done me in, but it was worth it. The house looked great. I planned to make a few dishes, but my star dish was 'Jalapeno Poppers'. I had them in restaurants in the past, but never made them. I got the recipe off a Facebook page. She hand typed it (no blog or star winning website) so it was simple instructions. I destemmed, cut them length wise and deseeded 15-20 jalapenos. Followed the rest of the instructions and into the oven they went. I de

From Flab to Fit

From Flab to Fit

Get Your Belly Back After Baby

Get Your Belly Back After Baby